Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm 

Did Geraldo find it in the safe?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:42 pm 
Vainglorious BassTurd

Silly me. Did I forget to mention:

Nothing Goddy about it. Just science, bitches. --flamino 12/09/11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:58 pm 

Are you going to get it authenticated? I've read in several places that there are many old silver mugs, bowls, etc that have been stamped with counterfeit Brasher punches to enhance their values.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:06 pm 
Vainglorious BassTurd

PerryHall wrote:
Are you going to get it authenticated? I've read in several places that there are many old silver mugs, bowls, etc that have been stamped with counterfeit Brasher punches to enhance their values.

:shock: OH CRAP!

:roll: :twisted:

I bought it from a trusted dealer, and I called in John Kraljevich to evaluate the piece. He authenticated it 100%. I've done pretty exhaustive research online. I've purchased and accessed the best references of 18th century American silver. And I've consulted with archivists at The Met in New York and the Art Institute in Chicago.

It's one thing to sink an "EB" punch on a $30 spoon. It's an entirely different thing to fake an 18th century mug. It's real.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:13 pm 
I'm so confused

Is the cup made out of silver? How much can Augdog pawn it for to buy hamburgers and Coors Light after you die?

"You are a real piece of work. I only ignore three on here. There comes a time when someone has no redeeming qualities and you're one of them to make it not worth responding to. As a matter of fact... nothing is worth getting my tempature up on so you can go fuddernutter yourself. Now you're back to ignore asshole. The only reason I responded here is because someone thought enough of your worthless post to alert me to it. Now GFY." - K6AZ, Professional BASE Jumper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm 
Vainglorious BassTurd

HappyLittleTrees wrote:
Is the cup made out of silver? How much can Augdog pawn it for to buy hamburgers and Coors Light after you die?

Enough to feed an Ethiopian family for several generations:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 pm 

Weiss wrote:
PerryHall wrote:

:shock: OH CRAP!

:roll: :twisted:

I bought it from a trusted dealer, and I called in John Kraljevich to evaluate the piece. He authenticated it 100%. I've done pretty exhaustive research online. I've purchased and accessed the best references of 18th century American silver. And I've consulted with archivists at The Met in New York and the Art Institute in Chicago.

It's one thing to sink an "EB" punch on a $30 spoon. It's an entirely different thing to fake an 18th century mug. It's real.

Sounds good. Glad you did your homework before you bought it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm 
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!

PerryHall wrote:

Many dealers are not completely honest.
Like the one who would last 9 seconds on CoinNet if he lied as much as he has to me.

BUT... we really DO want to know more.

LOTS more. Size, capacity, luster, patina, all of it.

I was thinking it would be a coin, but I see now that it is far more fascinating and esoteric than mere media of exchange.

Why I bet it was used by famous fathers who founded stuff.

Can you have it examined for DNA of Aaron Burr or smoething?

Please don't leave it at this. The historical importance of obscure shit far eclipses documented and widespread mere coins.

We (at least I) are/am in awe of this wonderful piece of Americana and will feel unfulfilled without more information and lots of pictures at different angles.

I think I speak for the entire forum in wanting to know lots and lots more.

:D :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm 
I'm so confused

Can you get a selfie of Your reflection in it, Weiss?

"You are a real piece of work. I only ignore three on here. There comes a time when someone has no redeeming qualities and you're one of them to make it not worth responding to. As a matter of fact... nothing is worth getting my tempature up on so you can go fuddernutter yourself. Now you're back to ignore asshole. The only reason I responded here is because someone thought enough of your worthless post to alert me to it. Now GFY." - K6AZ, Professional BASE Jumper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 pm 
Vainglorious BassTurd

Ephraim Brasher (born 1744 New York, died 1810 New York)
Patriot, businessman, silversmith.

Brasher lived at 1 Cherry Street, New York. Friend and patron George Washington lived next door at 3 Cherry Street.

Brasher was a member of the New York Provincial Army in 1775 and 1776, serving as a grenadier. He retired from the militia in 1796 with the rank of Major.

Brasher served on the New York Evacuation Committee in 1783, marking the departure of British troops from New York City. He served as sanitary commissioner from 1784 to 1785, coroner from 1786 to 1791, assistant justice from 1794 to 1797, election inspector from 1796 to 1809, and commissioner of excise from 1806 to 1810.

Additionally, Brasher was an assayer for the US Mint in the 1790s by appointment of the Secretary of the Treasury.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:41 pm 

I heard it was his COUSIN who lived at 1 Cherry St.

Ephraim was far too respectable to settle for only ONE cherry.
George Washington reportedly kept this charade up until he became too honest.

George even admitted on his deathbed that he CHOPPED DOWN more than 1 Cherry Tree.

So it may be a hoax.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 am 

I just landed. Anxiously logged on. Clicked over to the Coin Forum...finding weiss’ thread...and...seriously!?!

Melt.

So you’re Toast til 2023?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am 
Vainglorious BassTurd

Dude. This piece is awesmoe.

No, not really. Still smoe irons in the fire that may pan out. I'm still in it :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 am 

Do you have enough steel wool to properly maintain the shininess? hmm:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8