Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:28 am 
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!

Oh let's all try to figure out why.
I sure can't. We got assurance of the biggie: authenticity. Pretty much also a fair shot at a consensus on condition via professional third party hired and experienced grade experts.
So what could be bad?
Surely not a sudden switch to chasing not only grade, but grade OF the grade.
Now kids, let's all think about that.
Done?
Good, now pick up your pencils and write an essay on how complicated and uncertain a hobby can get before people start saying the hell with it.

I have.
I have also a fairly nice check in front of me that's going to chase esthetics instead of games.

Okay kids. See you all tomorrow. chin:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 am 

:twisted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253117391809?ul_noapp=true

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:08 am 

:D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:58 pm 
I'm so confused

I think there is a segment of the "market" that bubbled, and this is the inevitable correction.

"You are a real piece of work. I only ignore three on here. There comes a time when someone has no redeeming qualities and you're one of them to make it not worth responding to. As a matter of fact... nothing is worth getting my tempature up on so you can go fuddernutter yourself. Now you're back to ignore asshole. The only reason I responded here is because someone thought enough of your worthless post to alert me to it. Now GFY." - K6AZ, Professional BASE Jumper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:10 pm 

BigMark wrote:

You don't want that Elmo from the Sung dynasty, look for good Elmo from the Dung dynasty.

In lieu of flowers the family asks rolls of Wheaties be sent.

Herself - building vocabularies one felony at a time.-dallasactuary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:52 pm 
Vainglorious BassTurd

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Uh-oh...... Now a TRADE DOLLAR NUT a-borning!

SAVE ME! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing Goddy about it. Just science, bitches. --flamino 12/09/11

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:31 pm 

heart:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:23 pm 

Smoe of this furrin crap has big LUST-er :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 am 

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Good, now pick up your pencils and write an essay on how complicated and uncertain a hobby can get before people start saying the hell with it.

Even though I don't give an Elmo about stickers, have to disagree about that adding to the hobby being complicated. There are those people which it actually simplifies the hobby, as they either don't have the inclination or ability to either train their eyes or ability to judge a coin. That and some are also willing to pay their dues via slabs and stickers and figure the tuition is a tad cheaper.

Some people don't and never will have confidence in their own grading skills, and for many they have good reason not to have confidence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 am 

Maybe you could explain what CAC does to help people understand stuff.
Grade? Nope.
Authenticity? Nope.

POSITION in the grade? Ahhhh. I see.

Doubt.

A terrific and fun element.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 am 
I'm so confused

walmann wrote:
Rollo Tomassi wrote:

Even though I don't give an Elmo about stickers, have to disagree about that adding to the hobby being complicated. There are those people which it actually simplifies the hobby, as they either don't have the inclination or ability to either train their eyes or ability to judge a coin. That and some are also willing to pay their dues via slabs and stickers and figure the tuition is a tad cheaper.

Some people don't and never will have confidence in their own grading skills, and for many they have good reason not to have confidence.

Here is what really bothers Rollo about CAC...

Rollo is obsessed over what people think about his coins. He demands only happy talk about them, and you had better be quick with it otherwise he will throw a bitch hissy fit and delete the pics or thread. CAC adds another hurdle for him, because now he has (or had) non-CAC coins that will not get fawned over as much as he would like because they don't have stickers. Someone might think less of them. He is an utter child in this respect.

"You are a real piece of work. I only ignore three on here. There comes a time when someone has no redeeming qualities and you're one of them to make it not worth responding to. As a matter of fact... nothing is worth getting my tempature up on so you can go fuddernutter yourself. Now you're back to ignore asshole. The only reason I responded here is because someone thought enough of your worthless post to alert me to it. Now GFY." - K6AZ, Professional BASE Jumper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:51 pm 
Vainglorious BassTurd

HappyLittleTrees wrote:

Here is what really bothers Rollo about CAC...

Rollo is obsessed over what people think about his coins. He demands only happy talk about them, and you had better be quick with it otherwise he will throw a bitch hissy fit and delete the pics or thread. CAC adds another hurdle for him, because now he has (or had) non-CAC coins that will not get fawned over as much as he would like because they don't have stickers. Someone might think less of them. He is an utter child in this respect.

I mean I do the same thing. It's a voyeuristic platform for a visual hobby. One where we don't get a chance to meet fellow practitioners very often. dunno:

Nothing Goddy about it. Just science, bitches. --flamino 12/09/11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:33 am 

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Maybe you could explain what CAC does to help people understand stuff.
Grade? Nope.
Authenticity? Nope.

POSITION in the grade? Ahhhh. I see.

Doubt.

A terrific and fun element.

You also used the term uncertain in regards to the issue. I remember back in the 60s and 70s, there was much more uncertainty about coins, grades and authenticity. As I said don't give a hoot about any sticker. Even the TPG's grades only weigh so much, I have some 62s which I prefer over much higher grade coins. Coors with the darkside stuff sometimes it can be a matter of the graders lack of familiarity with a series, but that's okay I own cause I like not because someone else does.

Most of us has seen modern coins graded 69 or even 70 that clearly don't reach that grade by both the major TPGers. That and we've seen grading loosen and tighten at times. So from that perspective for some the sticker can have some impact. Me I don't care, I still have some US, mostly purchased prior to 2006, only one has a sticker, at the time thought it was a dealers logo, first I had seen. Didn't weigh into the purchase and the price was right at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:43 am 

That's fine.
...I... will own ONLY the stickers I ..have.... and will not submit to them for anything.

Coors, dropping US from my radar makes that sort of a hollow threat, but there it is. :lol:

CAC will destroy the US coin hobby. Of that I am sure.
And WHEN it turns out to be true, it will affect me only a bit.

NO ONE has yet answered me how they think that separating WITHIN a grade for quality can do any good.
Oh sure, the Luddites scream, "oh gawrsh, it heps peepul LURN how ta graid"

And there it is. A lonely whoop in the wilderness by someone not even participating. :oops:

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men................... etc... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:49 am 

Of the hobbies underlining problems, CAC is down near the bottom. The interest in coins often starts at a young age, kids don't handle coins much if at all, that and they inhabit the electronic world much more than the physical. See the same decrease of interest in the outdoors, fishing, hunting and camping all dramatically down, at least here in a state know for high levels of interest in both. Land of 10,000 Games now not Lakes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:11 pm 

*underlying

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:52 pm 
I'm so confused

walmann wrote:
Of the hobbies underlining problems, CAC is down near the bottom. The interest in coins often starts at a young age, kids don't handle coins much if at all, that and they inhabit the electronic world much more than the physical. See the same decrease of interest in the outdoors, fishing, hunting and camping all dramatically down, at least here in a state know for high levels of interest in both. Land of 10,000 Games now not Lakes.

This.

Again, what REALLY bothers Rollo is the idea that he would have coins without stickers that won't get the requisite fawning. One more hurdle in the race for maximum attention.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:58 pm 

Here's the rundown of the chain of events:

1. A few people will get wise to the "NEW" grading that takes a 63.66 to even BE a 63. Otherwise it will be "suspect" and say WTF and ....start.... thinking how far they want to chase the new games (that even may have been the model for adam's "contest" :lol: :lol: )

2. The #1's will begin to ...maybe... sell a few things that they "might" have smoe doubts about.

3. A dealer will pick up the phone and a customer will ask why they should buy from him when HIS "stated position" is that he stocks BOTH stickered and unstickerered coins but they are very nice. The customer will not place an order based on "Gee, I can't remember if I sent that in or not." chin:

4. ANOTHER dealer will transition to "ONLY CAC AND PCGS" to at least try to be "lower dog" and the plot will .....thicken. blink:

5. Dealers NOT assuring their customers that they will get stickered coins which aren't "needed" to be nice and he will still take them back or maybe even buy them back. (but only for a certain time period)

6. MORE "suspicion" will grow like a fungus in the morass of uncertainty that is "coins."

7. ANOTHER "collector" will think, "Y'know, I think I'm beginning to sense a change or sumpin" and HE will sell smoe coins.

8. The increasing consignments to auctions will become quite heavy and prices will begin to show the OBVIOUS direction that coins (for whatever reason/s) are ...well.... not having a good time.

9. The very last holdouts of the "GAWDAMMIT I KNOW HOW TO GRADE COINS CUZ I'VE BEEN DOIN' IT FOR EONS AND DON'T NEED NOBODY ELSE'S SAY-SO AND DON'T CARE WHAT THE CAT DRAGS IN"
...collectors.... :bunny .........
......will no longer feel so confident but they still won't dump these things.

10. Oh yes they will. :lol:

11. The collectors who put their coins in Danscos and look at them in their libraries or dens or padded cells will remain as happy as they always have been and say to themselves, "Man I'm sure glad I never got sucked into that "registry/competitive/hell-bent-for-leather/AT/NT" stupid crap.

The End.

(well, almost..... as a few folks who still like coins might turn darkside. :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm 
I'm so confused

Rollo Tomassi wrote:

1. I will post one of my coins on CU for the 100th time.

2. Someone will say, "That does not have a sticker."

3. My precious feelings will be hurt, and I will rage and have the thread deleted.

The End.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:08 pm 

Rollo Tomassi wrote:

1. A few people will get wise to the "NEW" grading that takes a 63.66 to even BE a 63. Otherwise it will be "suspect" and say WTF and ....start.... thinking how far they want to chase the new games (that even may have been the model for adam's "contest" :lol: :lol: )

2. The #1's will begin to ...maybe... sell a few things that they "might" have smoe doubts about.

3. A dealer will pick up the phone and a customer will ask why they should buy from him when HIS "stated position" is that he stocks BOTH stickered and unstickerered coins but they are very nice. The customer will not place an order based on "Gee, I can't remember if I sent that in or not." chin:

4. ANOTHER dealer will transition to "ONLY CAC AND PCGS" to at least try to be "lower dog" and the plot will .....thicken. blink:

5. Dealers NOT assuring their customers that they will get stickered coins which aren't "needed" to be nice and he will still take them back or maybe even buy them back. (but only for a certain time period)

6. MORE "suspicion" will grow like a fungus in the morass of uncertainty that is "coins."

7. ANOTHER "collector" will think, "Y'know, I think I'm beginning to sense a change or sumpin" and HE will sell smoe coins.

8. The increasing consignments to auctions will become quite heavy and prices will begin to show the OBVIOUS direction that coins (for whatever reason/s) are ...well.... not having a good time.

9. The very last holdouts of the "GAWDAMMIT I KNOW HOW TO GRADE COINS CUZ I'VE BEEN DOIN' IT FOR EONS AND DON'T NEED NOBODY ELSE'S SAY-SO AND DON'T CARE WHAT THE CAT DRAGS IN"
...collectors.... :bunny .........
......will no longer feel so confident but they still won't dump these things.

10. Oh yes they will. :lol:

11. The collectors who put their coins in Danscos and look at them in their libraries or dens or padded cells will remain as happy as they always have been and say to themselves, "Man I'm sure glad I never got sucked into that "registry/competitive/hell-bent-for-leather/AT/NT" stupid crap.

The End.

(well, almost..... as a few folks who still like coins might turn darkside. :wink: )

I can see this happening to an extent on the high end coins, but the vast majority of coins are widgets, and as there are fewer collectors more coins enter the widget category. Widgets are really any coins that exist in significant numbers beyond the number of collectors seeking them. CAC isn't reducing the number of collectors, the society/culture, the upcoming generation, call it what ever you like, are the reason behind the shrinking collector base. Widgets don't command significant money, not much financial incentive to sticker widgets and bury the coin even deeper.

And the lackluster deadly dull with yawn inspiring designs being churned out for circulation these days certainly does not help the situation.