Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hey Perry! Hey Buddy!
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:37 am 
Vainglorious BassTurd

I see a nice Sheffield 100 ouncer on eBay. Seen it yet? Maybe you gonna buy it? :D

Nothing Goddy about it. Just science, bitches. --flamino 12/09/11

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:11 am 

It's grossly overpriced at $6500. There are some crazy eBay sellers that have a greatly inflated idea of what their merchandise is worth. I've bought three 100 oz and one 50 oz Sheffield bars on eBay over the last several years and all were within a couple bucks per ounce of melt. I really like Sheffield bars but I'm not insane enough to pay multiples of what they're worth. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:26 am 
I don't have a title.

I just Googled Sheffield, why are these bars more "collectible" than say, a Pamp Suisse silver bar?
hmm: hmm:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:43 am 
Vainglorious BassTurd

PerryHall wrote:
It's grossly overpriced at $6500. There are some crazy eBay sellers that have a greatly inflated idea of what their merchandise is worth. I've bought three 100 oz and one 50 oz Sheffield bars on eBay over the last several years and all were within a couple bucks per ounce of melt. I really like Sheffield bars but I'm not insane enough to pay multiples of what they're worth. :lol:

LOL I Know! I'd be interested at like a buck, maybe a tiny bit more per ounce. But $6k? :D

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 am 

coinmickey wrote:
I just Googled Sheffield, why are these bars more "collectible" than say, a Pamp Suisse silver bar?

Old poured bars from famous companies that are no longer in business are in greater demand by collectors than bars that are still in current production such as the Pamp Suisse bars. It always comes down to supply and demand.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:51 am 

Weiss wrote:
PerryHall wrote:

LOL I Know! I'd be interested at like a buck, maybe a tiny bit more per ounce. But $6k? :D

It's $6500 and the seller is located in Canada. Pass. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:57 am 
I don't have a title.

PerryHall wrote:
coinmickey wrote:

Old poured bars from famous companies that are no longer in business are in greater demand by collectors than bars that are still in current production such as the Pamp Suisse bars. It always comes down to supply and demand.

Ah, so they're actually "collectible"!! I like that!!

Thx for the info... thumbsup: thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:42 am 
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!

http://www.aucmcoins.com/product/conrad ... %e2%80%8f/

Attachments:
Wiegand-bar-obv577.jpg
Wiegand-bar-obv577.jpg [ 56.4 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:08 pm 
Vainglorious BassTurd

Perry, do you have a feel for which bar is older--the bathtub style or this more rectangular, flat style?

My gut tells me the bathtub, because the flat style is still made today and would seem to be the easier of the two.

I could be wrong, though, since this Sheffield flat style looks similar to the oldest versions of both Eng and JM.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:07 pm 

Weiss wrote:
PerryHall wrote:

Only takes one buyer. They don't have to please Weiss or PH, just Irwin Schlobonvitz in Bayonne.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:22 pm 

markqlicker wrote:
Weiss wrote:
PerryHall wrote:

Only takes one buyer. They don't have to please Weiss or PH, just Irwin Schlobonvitz in Bayonne.

I doubt it will ever sell anywhere near that price. There are other overpriced silver bars on eBay that have been there forever. I guess they just don't care if it sells or not.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm 

Quote:
There are other overpriced silver bars on eBay that have been there forever. I guess they just don't care if it sells or not.

Good point. Listing is free. Probably wise to list an entire collection and if a bite comes along once in a while, all is good.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:49 am 

You'd think a French stamp on an English bar would cut the value on that in half.

In lieu of flowers the family asks rolls of Wheaties be sent.

Herself - building vocabularies one felony at a time.-dallasactuary

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 am 
Vainglorious BassTurd

Not every vintage bar is valuable. That's the tricky part of this area of our hobby.

Vintage bars by the big boys (like Engelhard and Johnson Matthey) do very well. Rare styles and odd sizes are often pricey. But not all of them (2 ounce gold will probably bring a bigger premium than 1 tola or 1 tael). Interesting designs can add to value, too. Poured bars often do much better than their later extruded and stamped counterparts. Low or unusual serial numbers help. Clear and/or interesting stamps help. And as with coins, scarcity, surfaces, and good toning can add to desirability. 100 oz bars are heavy and silver is soft. These bars got tossed around and banged together. So healthy bars are more desirable than those dragged through a hedge backwards.

I try to weigh my bars before I buy them. The old pour 10 oz Engelhard bars are often a good pinch over their stamped weight. I like that feature a lot. But I've walked away from a couple of nice bars that came in under their weight. Don't know if they were shaved or if they just weren't weighed right during manufacture. But if I don't want it, it makes it harder to offer it to others in the future.

However, there are lots of vintage bars out there that just don't seem to spark collector imagination. Larger American bars from the 1970s and 1980s often don't bring much of a premium. Really crude bars or whose maker might be unidentifiable, whose purity might be in question, or who was a fly-by-night operation don't seem to do well.

And then there are exceptions to all of these aspects. And it only takes the one guy who really wants that one strange bar to make the price jump. One less guy who wants that bar, and you can't give it away.

Sheffield isn't well-known but the collectors seem to be pretty passionate. They were established in the 1700s and are still in operation. They were owned by Engelhard at one point, so there is history and cross-collector appeal. The bars are scarce and neat looking.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am 

I've constantly been stymied by the apparent "collectors" of ....bars.
Specially 100 oz bars. blink:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:18 am 
Vainglorious BassTurd

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
I've constantly been stymied by the apparent "collectors" of ....bars.
Specially 100 oz bars. blink:

When you think about it, a 100 oz bar doesn't cost any more right now than a good date gem Barber quarter or Lincoln cent. So there is plenty of room for a mid-level collector to have 20 or 30 of them. Advanced collectors could have a hundred 100 ounce bars without breaking a sweat. And within the last 10 years that price was about 1/2 of what it is now, so longer term collectors can have one hell of a collection.

Of course, within the last 10 years that price was also almost triple. So it's more volatile. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:31 am 

I'm not even thinking "cost."
I'm remembering 1980 and ....NO... market for 100s except at huge discount.

One afternoon late, I could find NO buyers on the teletype for ONE Englehard.

I kept a few that I had squirreled. (sold at 37 or so) and changed the balance into ounce rounds.

WHICH ... I learned also are finicky at sale time so ...as I sold the ouncers, I replaced with 90%.

The ONE product I've found stable through the time I was in the shop.

I agree. Silver IS cheap. Compared to almost anything.
And therein lies my disgust with it. Oh, I still have plenty (too much) but thankfully it is dwarfed by the gold.
dunno:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:34 am 

The ONLY .999 that held even "spot" through thick and thin.... (even 90% got glutted at one point)..... is the 1,000 oz Comex "good delivery" bar.

The 100 oz is still considered a "small retail unit" to refiners or large wholesalers.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:45 pm 

I am posting just because I want to see a "bar" thread go 2 pages.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:46 pm 

How many more?