Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18185
I just bought a new computer. The CU coin forums show the time in the Pacific time zone. I live on the east coast so it's off by 3 hours. Any help to change it to the Eastern time zone would be greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest that I just move to the west coast to make the time correct on my computer. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 pm 
Offline
Just call me chuckles
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:14 am
Posts: 40811
Stop going to the CU forums.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline
CCW likes me more than Rollo
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:30 pm
Posts: 30705
Location: I lubricate my chains with wax
There's some setting in your CU account that adjusts this. The setting is stored in a 'browser cookie'. Because you switched computers, your old cookie is gone, thus your time zone setting is "the default" and not what you set it to on the old computer.

In other words, the time zone setting is a bit of data in your computer, not in CU's computers.

Poke around your account settings, there will be a way to change the time zone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline
I'm so confused
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:14 am
Posts: 27868
Location: Kentucky
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:08 pm 
Offline
I'm so confused
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:14 am
Posts: 27868
Location: Kentucky
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 85208
Under board preferences you can change it to bum fuddernutter time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18185
BigMark wrote:
Under board preferences you can change it to bum fuddernutter time.

I looked but don't see "board preferences". Where is it located?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 840
PerryHall wrote:
I just bought a new computer. The CU coin forums show the time in the Pacific time zone. I live on the east coast so it's off by 3 hours. Any help to change it to the Eastern time zone would be greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest that I just move to the west coast to make the time correct on my computer. :D



Send a PM to Mark Stephenson.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18185
BAJJERFAN wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
I just bought a new computer. The CU coin forums show the time in the Pacific time zone. I live on the east coast so it's off by 3 hours. Any help to change it to the Eastern time zone would be greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest that I just move to the west coast to make the time correct on my computer. :D



Send a PM to Mark Stephenson.

Good idea. I just sent him a PM. We'll see what happens. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 56881
Location: Sunroom 12 , Naptime Gardens, Livermore, CA
PerryHall wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
I just bought a new computer. The CU coin forums show the time in the Pacific time zone. I live on the east coast so it's off by 3 hours. Any help to change it to the Eastern time zone would be greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest that I just move to the west coast to make the time correct on my computer. :D



Send a PM to Mark Stephenson.

Good idea. I just sent him a PM. We'll see what happens. :D

Yool get bammed. That's what!

_________________
George, le's get a place all our own where I kin tend da rabbitz.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18185
Rollo Tomassi wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
I just bought a new computer. The CU coin forums show the time in the Pacific time zone. I live on the east coast so it's off by 3 hours. Any help to change it to the Eastern time zone would be greatly appreciated. Please don't suggest that I just move to the west coast to make the time correct on my computer. :D



Send a PM to Mark Stephenson.

Good idea. I just sent him a PM. We'll see what happens. :D

Yool get bammed. That's what!

I told him that you suggested that I contact him. :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 56881
Location: Sunroom 12 , Naptime Gardens, Livermore, CA
Good. That should make up for my sticker hate. :razz:

_________________
George, le's get a place all our own where I kin tend da rabbitz.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Posts: 3488
Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Good. That should make up for my sticker hate. :razz:



Don't you have a giveaway to do? PH is waiting for his next "win" already ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 840
Nevermind.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Last edited by BAJJERFAN on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Posts: 3488
adamlaneus wrote:
There's some setting in your CU account that adjusts this. The setting is stored in a 'browser cookie'. Because you switched computers, your old cookie is gone, thus your time zone setting is "the default" and not what you set it to on the old computer.

In other words, the time zone setting is a bit of data in your computer, not in CU's computers.

Poke around your account settings, there will be a way to change the time zone.



Normally, Adam is a pretty smart guy, unless he is fuddernutter with you...in this case, I don't know if he is fuddernutter with you or not.
Either way, it is NOT a setting/cookie on your local PC.

If it were, then whenever you logged in from ANY computer, it wouldn't be right.
I know for a fact that I can log in from my tablet, my old work PC at work, my home PC, etc etc etc, and once I log in as me, the time zone settings are the same/consistent as to what I set up. There is no CU/PCGS cookie sitting on my PC telling CU what time zone I want.

Same with the OFR. Once I set it per me, and log in as me, the setting is there.

Now, all that goodness said, it used to be a very easy thing to do there, but with the software "update", I don't see it under settings and profile where it used to be, so, I have no solution other than ask CU


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 85208
You can't get there from here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:17 pm 
Offline
CCW likes me more than Rollo
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:30 pm
Posts: 30705
Location: I lubricate my chains with wax
RMan is correct here. What I said was an educated guess. I made two bad assumptions:
1) The OFR website asks you for your timezone. So I assumed that the CU site did as well. It does not.
2) The loss of your timezone was due to the loss of your client cookie because of a new computer. Since item (1) is wrong, item (2) is also wrong.

Well... First, the OFR does ask for a timezone but it's not stored in a client cookie. It appears to go into a database on the server.

Second, I looked at the code (the html/js that is sent to the browser) for the CU website and it appears to use the <time> tag which means that the CU website is speaking UTC time and it's using your operating system's time zone.

So this implies that you need to look at the time zone in your operating system and make sure it's correct.

Even when someone sounds like they know what they are talking about, be sure to call them out on bull Elmo every now and then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 85208
I just use turn signal fluid for mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Posts: 3488
Try lighter fluid...works quicker :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18185
Mark Stephenson at PCGS referred my question to someone named John who quickly responded. He said that the CU forums automatically use the time zones set on the computer so I'll have to figure out how to reset the time zone on my computer. Thanks for all the help.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright 2011, Georgia Pig Productions
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group