Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
I'm so confused
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:14 am
Posts: 27897
Location: Kentucky
I dont get this verdict at all. If she wasnt physically there, she had no way of knowing he was actually doing what he said he was and probably thought he was joking and said yeah get back in and do it. Big deal, its on him for doing it not her.

Otherwise anyone who dumps someone and the other half commits suicide from that, they would be guilty too right as they caused it lol

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:25 pm
Posts: 34765
should be an easy appeal to win? Were the jurors drunk or just distracted while texting?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:37 pm 
Offline
I have a blog
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:53 pm
Posts: 47058
Location: San Diego
I have zero sympathy for her.

Quote:
Up to the moment he passed out from the toxic fumes, then 17-year-old Carter was on the telephone with him, she later informed friends. When he had doubts and climbed out of the truck, she ordered him back in.

“She can hear him coughing and she can hear the loud noise of the motor,’’ the judge said in his ruling Friday. Her instructions to return to the truck constituted “wanton and reckless conduct by Ms. Carter, creating a situation where there is a high degree of likelihood that substantial harm would result to Mr. Roy.”


Quote:
In her texts leading up to Roy’s death, Carter belittled her boyfriend for failing to make good on previous threats to commit suicide and made him promise that he would follow through. She sent him research on different methods, including hanging and jumping off a high building, and finally settled on carbon monoxide poisoning. Carter advised Roy to do it away from home so that nobody would interrupt and stop his death.

“And u can’t break a promise. And just go in a quiet parking lot or something,” she wrote him.

When Roy wrote that he didn’t want to hurt his parents, Carter reassured him: "I think your parents know you're in a really bad place. Im not saying they want you to do it, but I honestly feel like they can accept it.”



http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-text-suicide-20170616-story.html

_________________
Positive contribution has never been a requirement around here. -- Coincopwife

The OFR is the boss site, everywhere else is Elmo. -- otis

Smoetimes Clw's genius is just scary. :evil: -- Catch22

Yes, fuddernutter the rest of the world. -- Comrade Renski

Shuddup for godsakes you goddamn blowhard. -- BigMark

l: -- Flash, on many occasions.

Lame Ass Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:17 pm
Posts: 2164
I recall years ago someone was threatening suicide on the board. So a very sympathetic person explained how to garrot himself so his parents wouldn't find too bad of a mess. What is the problem here?
chin:

_________________
You have no right to give an opinion from an image, if it has a sticker on it. Unless it's a favorable opinion.
Something that old crotchety/codger has been dealer on the NGC boards might say, or be thinking, but won't admit it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:23 am 
Offline
The Only Truck Driver That Hasn't Murdered Truck Stop Prostitutes, At Least That We Know Of
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:11 pm
Posts: 16807
Location: Arkansas
So are they going to start arresting BLM and democrats for calling for the death of cops & republicans?

This case opened up a can of worms.

_________________
Glenn

tradedollarnut wrote:
Ok - I'm outta here. Mac is a gism sucker - thru and thru. The only way he paid up was the unbearable pressure of looking like a loser. And I fuddernutter donated all my money to this stupid site - yet I'm the villain? Well, that's just fine - but go fuddernutter yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:51 am 
Offline
CCW likes me more than Rollo
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:30 pm
Posts: 31054
Location: I lubricate my chains with wax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOP5Ko2nz20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18370
tlhoy wrote:
So are they going to start arresting BLM and democrats for calling for the death of cops & republicans?

This case opened up a can of worms.

Did you guys even read the transcript of the tweets? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:40 am 
Offline
POTD Giver Outer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 15375
Location: The Universe
She's a cold hearted beatch but he was the idiot who did the deed.

_________________
We Are Stardust

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight". Albert Schweitzer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 am 
Offline
Giving liberals the blues
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:04 pm
Posts: 57558
Location: DFW, TX
mdwoods wrote:
She's a cold hearted beatch but he was the idiot who did the deed.
And that is pretty much where I stand.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:56 am 
Offline
The Only Truck Driver That Hasn't Murdered Truck Stop Prostitutes, At Least That We Know Of
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:11 pm
Posts: 16807
Location: Arkansas
What she did was bad but not criminal. This should have been settled in a civil court. There are crazy people out there that do things all the time because someone told them to do it.

Imagine you break up with your girlfriend or wife and she writes out a long list of the things you did to her in a suicide note and then slit her wrists. This case says her death is your fault.

Your talking to your friend about his finances. He lost everything & is dead broke. You tell him he could always rob a bank. He does it and tells the cops it was your idea. Should you be arrested for bank robbery? This case says yes.

Soon gun store owners will be responsible for someones death because of the gun they sold.

The world is upside down. No one is responsible for their own actions but now youre responsible for someone elses actions. It doesnt make sense. Just like the sins of your father does not pass down to you. The sins of others are not your fault either.

This sets a bad precedent and no good can come from it.

_________________
Glenn

tradedollarnut wrote:
Ok - I'm outta here. Mac is a gism sucker - thru and thru. The only way he paid up was the unbearable pressure of looking like a loser. And I fuddernutter donated all my money to this stupid site - yet I'm the villain? Well, that's just fine - but go fuddernutter yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18370
He was suffering from severe depression which made him quite vulnerable. If someone gave a drunk the keys to his car and talked him into driving himself home, would he any culpability if the drunk driver killed someone?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:18 am 
Offline
Giving liberals the blues
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:04 pm
Posts: 57558
Location: DFW, TX
PerryHall wrote:
He was suffering from severe depression which made him quite vulnerable. If someone gave a drunk the keys to his car and talked him into driving himself home, would he any culpability if the drunk driver killed someone?
There is a very distinct line between being there in person to assist with the act and verbally encouraging someone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18370
vargha wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
He was suffering from severe depression which made him quite vulnerable. If someone gave a drunk the keys to his car and talked him into driving himself home, would he any culpability if the drunk driver killed someone?
There is a very distinct line between being there in person to assist with the act and verbally encouraging someone.

For all intents and purposes she was with him via electronic communication. Welcome to the 21st century.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:27 am 
Offline
The Only Truck Driver That Hasn't Murdered Truck Stop Prostitutes, At Least That We Know Of
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:11 pm
Posts: 16807
Location: Arkansas
PerryHall wrote:
vargha wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
He was suffering from severe depression which made him quite vulnerable. If someone gave a drunk the keys to his car and talked him into driving himself home, would he any culpability if the drunk driver killed someone?
There is a very distinct line between being there in person to assist with the act and verbally encouraging someone.

For all intents and purposes she was with him via electronic communication. Welcome to the 21st century.


So everyone that watches suicides live on Facebook are responsible for that death.

_________________
Glenn

tradedollarnut wrote:
Ok - I'm outta here. Mac is a gism sucker - thru and thru. The only way he paid up was the unbearable pressure of looking like a loser. And I fuddernutter donated all my money to this stupid site - yet I'm the villain? Well, that's just fine - but go fuddernutter yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm
Posts: 18370
tlhoy wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
vargha wrote:
PerryHall wrote:
He was suffering from severe depression which made him quite vulnerable. If someone gave a drunk the keys to his car and talked him into driving himself home, would he any culpability if the drunk driver killed someone?
There is a very distinct line between being there in person to assist with the act and verbally encouraging someone.

For all intents and purposes she was with him via electronic communication. Welcome to the 21st century.


So everyone that watches suicides live on Facebook are responsible for that death.

That's not what happened. She wasn't a passive observer. She was in direct contact with a mentally ill person the whole time while encouraging him and cajoling him to kill himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 am 
Offline
The Only Truck Driver That Hasn't Murdered Truck Stop Prostitutes, At Least That We Know Of
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:11 pm
Posts: 16807
Location: Arkansas
So were the people on FB. They encouraged him to do it. They cheered him on.

How about jumpers on the ledge of a building and the people on the ground screaming for him to jump? I was on the bridge in Detroit going to Canada when the cops stopped traffic because of a jumper. For 3 hours we were screaming for him to jump and get it over with so we could go on.

Im telling you no good will come from this case. Yes what she did was horrible but it should have been a civil case, not a criminal one.

_________________
Glenn

tradedollarnut wrote:
Ok - I'm outta here. Mac is a gism sucker - thru and thru. The only way he paid up was the unbearable pressure of looking like a loser. And I fuddernutter donated all my money to this stupid site - yet I'm the villain? Well, that's just fine - but go fuddernutter yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Posts: 3673
She wasn't the same as unknown persons on FB.

She, imho, was quite culpable in this. Someone gets into a severely depressed, or dependent, state of mind, gets handed a gun, gets handed a few bullets, and gets told to go shoot other people. Is that person, who handed the gun/bullets to the person who did the shooting guilty of anything? If not, then why is it different? Because it wasn't a suicide but rather killed others? Weak.

What if, instead of bullets and a gun in the example, it was back to the running vehicle......now, what if she was telling him to kill himself and his parents/siblings that way? Would she be guilty of anything then, if he did it.....all in the same way he did what he did...but he included the others?

There is personal responsibility on the dead kid's part and then there is personal responsibility on the girl's part. To tell someone to DIAF is totally different from having a close relationship like they did, recognize his neediness, and go down a path of encouraging, and helping him, kill himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:17 pm
Posts: 2164
"Imagine you break up with your girlfriend or wife and she writes out a long list of the things you did to her in a suicide note and then slit her wrists."

Been hoping.

_________________
You have no right to give an opinion from an image, if it has a sticker on it. Unless it's a favorable opinion.
Something that old crotchety/codger has been dealer on the NGC boards might say, or be thinking, but won't admit it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 pm
Posts: 8196
Quote:
In United States law, depraved-heart murder, also known as depraved-indifference murder, is an action where a defendant acts with a "depraved indifference" to human life and where such act results in a death. In a depraved-heart murder, defendants commit an act even though they know their act runs an unusually high risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to a person. If the risk of death or bodily harm is great enough, ignoring it demonstrates a "depraved indifference" to human life and the resulting death is considered to have been committed with malice aforethought.[1][2] In some states, depraved-heart killings constitute second-degree murder,[3] while in others, the act would be charged with varying degrees of manslaughter.[4]
If no death results, such an act would generally constitute reckless endangerment (sometimes known as "culpable negligence") and possibly other crimes, such as assault.


Quote:
The idea of falsely shouting "fire" in a crowded theater arose from the Supreme Court's 1919 decision in the case Schenck v. United States. The Court ruled unanimously that the First Amendment, though it protects freedom of expression, does not protect dangerous speech

_________________

Do you guys honestly not understand that every intelligence agency in the nation... agrees Russia staged an all-out attack on our nation during the last election?
The CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Department of Homeland Security, and a dozen other agencies all reached the same conclusion. This isn't partisan, it's not open to interpretation. It's a fact.
If you don't understand this fact, please, just stop responding to my posts. You don't know what you're talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:14 pm 
Offline
I have a blog
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:53 pm
Posts: 47058
Location: San Diego
Hugh_Jorgan wrote:
Quote:
In United States law, depraved-heart murder, also known as depraved-indifference murder, is an action where a defendant acts with a "depraved indifference" to human life and where such act results in a death. In a depraved-heart murder, defendants commit an act even though they know their act runs an unusually high risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to a person. If the risk of death or bodily harm is great enough, ignoring it demonstrates a "depraved indifference" to human life and the resulting death is considered to have been committed with malice aforethought.[1][2] In some states, depraved-heart killings constitute second-degree murder,[3] while in others, the act would be charged with varying degrees of manslaughter.[4]
If no death results, such an act would generally constitute reckless endangerment (sometimes known as "culpable negligence") and possibly other crimes, such as assault.


Quote:
The idea of falsely shouting "fire" in a crowded theater arose from the Supreme Court's 1919 decision in the case Schenck v. United States. The Court ruled unanimously that the First Amendment, though it protects freedom of expression, does not protect dangerous speech



This certainly meets those requirements, and then smoe.

_________________
Positive contribution has never been a requirement around here. -- Coincopwife

The OFR is the boss site, everywhere else is Elmo. -- otis

Smoetimes Clw's genius is just scary. :evil: -- Catch22

Yes, fuddernutter the rest of the world. -- Comrade Renski

Shuddup for godsakes you goddamn blowhard. -- BigMark

l: -- Flash, on many occasions.

Lame Ass Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: otis and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2011, Georgia Pig Productions
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group