Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hey, Hawaiian Comrade!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:32 pm 
Giving liberals the blues

I'm considering a 5-day vacation to Hawaii with the Missus in September. Any recommendations? Anybody else wanna chime in?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:34 pm 
EZEKIEL 23:20

Big Island. Beaches & Volcanoes. You'll need to rent a car.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:41 pm 

uoy gonna carry a surfboard?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 pm 
The Only Truck Driver That Hasn't Murdered Truck Stop Prostitutes, At Least That We Know Of

Nose plugs. It smells like dead fish there.

tradedollarnut wrote:
Ok - I'm outta here. Mac is a gism sucker - thru and thru. The only way he paid up was the unbearable pressure of looking like a loser. And I fuddernutter donated all my money to this stupid site - yet I'm the villain? Well, that's just fine - but go fuddernutter yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:11 pm 

To save a few dollars consider driving to Hawaii like Senator Cory Booker. :razz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcfLZDVw8LU

Do you guys honestly not understand that every intelligence agency in the nation... agrees Russia staged an all-out attack on our nation during the last election?
The CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Department of Homeland Security, and a dozen other agencies all reached the same conclusion. This isn't partisan, it's not open to interpretation. It's a fact.
If you don't understand this fact, please, just stop responding to my posts. You don't know what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:18 pm 

Take an empty suitcase. Go to Maui. Fill suitcase with this. No potato chip in the world comes close to this:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:17 pm 

So much depend on your travel style. Do you wanna relax on a beach? Oahu is going to be less expensive, and there's plenty to do if you haven't been. 5 days is actually a good length of time to get to know how that island is laid out. But unless you're just beaching it, you'll need a rental car to explore. The arizona memorial and the bishop museum (HI history and artifacts)-latter is a good way to spend a rainy day. Hanama bay is a worthwhile snorkel area, but is a zoo in terms of number of folks (and consequently regulations re timing). walking up Diamond head is neat-great view, ww2 guyn emplacements, etc. personally, I like the walk out to Ka'ena point (NW corner) and teh beach just s of there Keawaula beach-better lknow as yokohama beach. N shore stuff-waimea beach and jumping off the big rock there into teh ocean if fun. If waves are calm, snorkelling near pupukea (shark's cove) although tath's also a very n[popular spot. I think the blowhole is neat.

Maui is also doable in 5 days. For me, also car rental (although Beaching it is also fine) -dayhike up Iao valley. Drive to haleeakala, prefarably for sunrise. snorkel just befoire road ends at la persouse bay. Mackenna is one of my fave beaches, as is the red sand beach near hana. waterfall hikes and if adventuresome, careful jumps. I like driving teh circumfernce of teh island, but taht's not for everyone-raod in SE is dirt and "prohobited" to rental cars byu many (all?) companies. black rock beahc N of lahaina ais another good snorkel spot w/ sea turtles. Maui is easier isnland to set up a varity of scuba trips from. molokini is a neat boat ride snorkel or scuba.

the big island is my fave, but more spread out. Volcanos NP, waimea falls, manaua kea. City of refuge. Ka Lae and short cliff jumps into ocean.

I love Kauai also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:24 pm 
I don't have a title.

I went to Hawaii several years back, staying on Oahu. I mainly roamed around that island but I took a day trip to Kauai and wished I had spent more time there. It's simply one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

To my great regret I've never made it back to HI... :cry: :cry:

Trumpbots- Defending the Indefensible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:27 pm 

Dukie, rental car for sure (Jeep maybe). A couple of beach days and the rest exploring. I figure 5 full days sandwiched between 2 travel days. We were probably looking at Hawaii or Maui.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:31 pm 
CCW likes me more than Rollo

ass haoles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:38 pm 
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!

Quote:
Okay, you've had your hour and a half on Kauai.

Now get back on the ship or we'll leave your ass.

That was OUR island paradise adventure. :mad:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 pm 

Jeep is cool and opens a few options-but there aren't many places a cautious driver can't go in a regular car IMO. Saddle road on the Big Island used to be a "forbidden" route (but now is upgraded to the point that I don't think there are restrictions) but I always just ignored them anyway and drove carefully as needed-ditto the road around the extreme "ends" of Maui.

You can prolly do Maui a bit cheaper than the BI, if that matters. to expand to what I posted above- Plenty of condos to rent near Kihei for a reasonable price. I can get you the name of a place I've stayed sev times-nothing fancy-but on a neat beach, have grills, a pool, etc. I like that part of Maui, you can literally walk to places that rent mask/fins snorkel for dirt cheap. Haleakala is cool-10,000 ft high (it'll be cold if you go for sunrise)-there are otherworldly dayhikes across the dormant caldera, cool view. Lots of vendors who will be happy to rent you a bike that you can cruise down from the top if you like that sorta stuff. "upcountry" is what the uphill slopes are calls-cows, wineries, a few artists galleries, etc.
Plenty of hotel options, obviously too.

I think the drive to hana is cool. Lots of pretty waterfalls and beaches to explore in not very much space. It drives smoe folks crazy, because there are no places to pass, and haole tourists drive slowly.

The beaches sw of lahaina can be a great first place to surf if you wife wants to try that. N shore surf culture (diff from oahu's N shore, obviously) can be fun to watch. laird hamilton sightings in Paia, kiteboarders and windsurfers at Baldwin beach park.

Big Island-folks now take it for granted, but kileaua and associated vents have been erupting nearly continuously since about '84. That's unprecedented in length, since we have records (obviously for not that long). so it;s a great time to visit Volcano NP. Check conditions-there's a hotline and a halemaumau crater cam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 pm 
I'm so confused

If you go to Mt Haleakala, take a helicopter. Seriously do not drive up and down that bitch. Worst most dangerous drive possible. One false turn and its a straight 500+ foot drop. Not to mention ppl with death wishes flying down the hill on bicycles. Crashes everywhere.
Taking a tour bus up might be ok but those drivers are crazy too. Worst day of my 2 weeks there.

Maui is sort of meh. Honolulu was the best. Drive to the back and see the waterfalls. Do some of the hikes up in the hills with great views. Pearl Harbor, Bishop Museum etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 am 

Big island

3 days Hilo side, 2 days Kona side.

Fly into Hilo, stay in a local B and B. Do volcanoes, the observatory (at night), waterfalls, and hot springs beach.

Drive to Kona, stay chain hotel (e.g. Marriott). Drink coffee. Buy stuff. Beaches. Evening/night time snorkel with Manta Rays.

Fly home exhausted out of Kona. Thank me later.

Surf

Ps. Can reverse this itinerary.

Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm in rollo's will!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 am 
Just call me chuckles

Never been, but when my brother went on his honeymoon he and his wife rented a big ol', red Harley. That sounds like the way to explore the island.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 am 

Good stuff, everyone. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am 
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!

What's wrong with Fresno?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 am 

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
What's not?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am 
EZEKIEL 23:20

Rollo Tomassi wrote:

You can't take the bullet train to Bakersfield? Yet....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am 

surfinx wrote:
Big island

3 days Hilo side, 2 days Kona side.

Fly into Hilo, stay in a local B and B. Do volcanoes, the observatory (at night), waterfalls, and hot springs beach.

Drive to Kona, stay chain hotel (e.g. Marriott). Drink coffee. Buy stuff. Beaches. Evening/night time snorkel with Manta Rays.

Fly home exhausted out of Kona. Thank me later.

Surf

Ps. Can reverse this itinerary.

Damn that sounds awesome !
Wish I wasn't on the east coast.
The Islands are a loong way away.