Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:13 am 

robertpr wrote:

$350 is the price difference you would expect to be seeing with a system that lacks a blu-ray drive and that lacks a graphics card, the system you quoted has integrated graphics. Those two items alone are the $350 difference and the graphics firepower is significantly different between the two systems.

And for 95% of people it's not worth it. My laptop is certainly no slug with graphics but I didn't buy a laptop to play WoW. I held my nose paying $700 knowing how fast they depreciate. If someone really has a need for heavy duty graphics and Blu Ray maybe but as I said most people use laptops for the net and email. I know there is a minority who prefer laptops to desktops but I certainly don't.

My photos can be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 am 

K6AZ wrote:
robertpr wrote:

$350 is the price difference you would expect to be seeing with a system that lacks a blu-ray drive and that lacks a graphics card, the system you quoted has integrated graphics. Those two items alone are the $350 difference and the graphics firepower is significantly different between the two systems.

And for 95% of people it's not worth it. My laptop is certainly no slug with graphics but I didn't buy a laptop to play WoW. I held my nose paying $700 knowing how fast they depreciate. If someone really has a need for heavy duty graphics and Blu Ray maybe but as I said most people use laptops for the net and email. I know there is a minority who prefer laptops to desktops but I certainly don't.

This was about me you self centered jackass...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 am 
Super Genius

K6AZ wrote:
robertpr wrote:

Good points and I certainly agree that a desktop is preferable to a laptop. As far as blu-ray, most consumers are not worried about it yet but give it a year or two and it will be mainstream. One major point is that blu-ray will not work in machines that do not have HDCP compliant graphics cards in them so even if someone is not planning on gaming it should be noted that many of the systems on the market will not be upgradeable to blu-ray in the future and the vast majority of users will not be able to upgrade their graphics card in a laptop. Hell, I WON'T DO IT! That says something.

There's no right or wrong answer though. I will say though that skimping on features to save a few bucks because the systems depreciate rapidly will paradoxically cause the system you wind up with to depreciate into obsolescence much faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:30 am 

In a year or two when everyone uses Blu Ray you'll get a lot more laptop for $1200. I'd go with just enough to get by for now.

My photos can be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:12 am 

K6AZ wrote:
In a year or two when everyone uses Blu Ray you'll get a lot more laptop for $1200. I'd go with just enough to get by for now.

Get out of my thread jackass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 am 

Ordered, I hope they ship today, need it by Thursday! Thanks Robert...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 pm 

It's not a bad system.
If you are going to be using it on battery, intel is a better choice, currently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:02 am 

RMan wrote:
It's not a bad system.
If you are going to be using it on battery, intel is a better choice, currently.

You have a link to a better value and or better system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:26 am 
Super Genius

BigMark wrote:
RMan wrote:
It's not a bad system.

You have a link to a better value and or better system?

There are many better systems but that is probably the best you'll find in your budget range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:46 pm 

Got the laptop, really really nice. Newegg overcharged me for shipping 13 pounds when it was 11 and charged me overnight rates and it didnt get here until two days.

Can I get my overnight shipping $ back? Fed Ex just left it on the front porch and then the valet punched it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:58 pm 
Super Genius

BigMark wrote:
Got the laptop, really really nice. Newegg overcharged me for shipping 13 pounds when it was 11 and charged me overnight rates and it didnt get here until two days.

Can I get my overnight shipping $ back? Fed Ex just left it on the front porch and then the valet punched it.

Probably not, but if you call and get the right CSR they might give you a credit in case you ever buy anything else from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:01 pm 
Super Genius

Oh and you see that HDMI port on the left side? You can output to any modern flat panel television from that port if you want to use a really big monitor. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:02 pm 

Oh, really? And what's a kick ass monitor that you would recommend for him, let's say about 24" or so :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:03 pm 
Super Genius

xpipe wrote:
Oh, really? And what's a kick ass monitor that you would recommend for him, let's say about 24" or so :D

Something not made by Apple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:08 pm 

Guess I should have done recovery discs before loading this 3 D modeling program. 23 CDR discs! faint:

OR Two DVD DL discs :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:39 pm 
Super Genius

BigMark wrote:
Guess I should have done recovery discs before loading this 3 D modeling program. 23 CDR discs! faint:

If you're making recovery discs, they only contain the stuff that was on the drive when you bought it. Not the modeling program. It takes a lot of CD's because, well, CD's suck. Windows alone probably takes 22 of those 23 discs. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:12 pm 

robertpr wrote:
BigMark wrote:

If you're making recovery discs, they only contain the stuff that was on the drive when you bought it. Not the modeling program. It takes a lot of CD's because, well, CD's suck. Windows alone probably takes 22 of those 23 discs. :!:

Holy crap! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:51 pm 
Super Genius

Use DVD's. You don't need the dual layer ones, just use three single layer discs. The dual layer discs are much more expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:46 pm 

robertpr wrote:
Use DVD's. You don't need the dual layer ones, just use three single layer discs. The dual layer discs are much more expensive.

I did it on two DVD RL discs, never would have except you guys always say boot the recovery disc. Thanks, you rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 pm 

How do I adjust the bass?