Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
Anyone know the cause or how to prevent mouse/keyboard freeze-ups? Happened twice in less than a day. Starting to pess me off.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:44 pm 
Offline
Just call me chuckles
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:14 am
Posts: 41404
Default answer: Check for updated drivers.

Sometimes Windows updates itself and breaks peripherals.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
Clark wrote:
Default answer: Check for updated drivers.

Sometimes Windows updates itself and breaks peripherals.



I thought that Windows was supposed update/fix stuff like that every time Windows starts up.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:25 pm
Posts: 35254
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Clark wrote:
Default answer: Check for updated drivers.

Sometimes Windows updates itself and breaks peripherals.



I thought that Windows was supposed update/fix stuff like that every time Windows starts up.

depends on how you set it up. Maybe yours only does "important" updates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:22 pm 
Offline
Just call me chuckles
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:14 am
Posts: 41404
Also, just uninstalling a device and reinstalling it will sometimes fix it.

It’s Windows. It’s a crapshoot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
Barndog wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Clark wrote:
Default answer: Check for updated drivers.

Sometimes Windows updates itself and breaks peripherals.



I thought that Windows was supposed update/fix stuff like that every time Windows starts up.

depends on how you set it up. Maybe yours only does "important" updates



I was told by someone here that if I uninstalled a driver that Windows would reinstall it when I started up Windows. Didn't work. Since it was the ethernet adapter it's a good thing I had things downloaded first.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
Clark wrote:
Also, just uninstalling a device and reinstalling it will sometimes fix it.

It’s Windows. It’s a crapshoot.



How do you uninstall a mouse or keyboard? If I uninstall the driver Windows should automatically reinstall the driver when I plug it back in, no?

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Posts: 3953
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Barndog wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Clark wrote:
Default answer: Check for updated drivers.

Sometimes Windows updates itself and breaks peripherals.



I thought that Windows was supposed update/fix stuff like that every time Windows starts up.

depends on how you set it up. Maybe yours only does "important" updates



I was told by someone here that if I uninstalled a driver that Windows would reinstall it when I started up Windows. Didn't work. Since it was the ethernet adapter it's a good thing I had things downloaded first.




NEVER rely on an "automatic reinstall". Windows will only do that if it HAS the driver as part of its package.
ALWAYS have your necessary drivers (video/network/whatever) on a USB drive or a partition of the HDD. If you don't, prepare to use another computer to go get it and then move it over.

While Windows does have a lot of the drivers, not all the companies will allow MSFT to package them.
If the system is getting messed up, use the system restore. Doesn't impact saved files/docs/pics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 58399
I'm set at NEVER check for updates.
Love it.

W7 though. Dunno if that even updates anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
Rollo Tomassi wrote:
I'm set at NEVER check for updates.
Love it.

W7 though. Dunno if that even updates anymore.


It still does.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
RMan wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Barndog wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Clark wrote:
Default answer: Check for updated drivers.

Sometimes Windows updates itself and breaks peripherals.



I thought that Windows was supposed update/fix stuff like that every time Windows starts up.

depends on how you set it up. Maybe yours only does "important" updates



I was told by someone here that if I uninstalled a driver that Windows would reinstall it when I started up Windows. Didn't work. Since it was the ethernet adapter it's a good thing I had things downloaded first.




NEVER rely on an "automatic reinstall". Windows will only do that if it HAS the driver as part of its package.
ALWAYS have your necessary drivers (video/network/whatever) on a USB drive or a partition of the HDD. If you don't, prepare to use another computer to go get it and then move it over.

While Windows does have a lot of the drivers, not all the companies will allow MSFT to package them.
If the system is getting messed up, use the system restore. Doesn't impact saved files/docs/pics.


My system restore doesn't ever seem to successfully restore anything.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:40 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 58399
That's weird. If I restore, it's as if nothing happened or changed since last restore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Posts: 3953
BAJJERFAN wrote:

My system restore doesn't ever seem to successfully restore anything.




It's broken/corrupted then. Had that happen once. I finally gave up after trying everything I could think of in the registry and whatnot.
Finally just said "screw it", bought a new SSD, and installed Win7 again from scratch, re-installed all the updates/drivers, and then re-installed all my apps.

Pain in the ass, but system worked MUCH better afterwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
RMan wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:

My system restore doesn't ever seem to successfully restore anything.




It's broken/corrupted then. Had that happen once. I finally gave up after trying everything I could think of in the registry and whatnot.
Finally just said "screw it", bought a new SSD, and installed Win7 again from scratch, re-installed all the updates/drivers, and then re-installed all my apps.

Pain in the ass, but system worked MUCH better afterwards.



Mine will go through all of the gyrations, but at the end nothing is changed. I forget the exact message, but it's something the SR was unsuccessful.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 1030
Could the mouse/keyboard issue be due to a shortage of RAM?

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 86907
It's from watching MAN RAM.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Posts: 3953
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Could the mouse/keyboard issue be due to a shortage of RAM?



Very unlikely. Very unlikely.

I'm going to guess they are USB. So, the "freeze-up" you are seeing may be an over saturation of the USB bus (yes, redundant since USB the "B" is bus but it gets the point across).
Pull other things from the USB ports if you have anything else plugged in. I have seen where I have had an external USB HDD plugged in and, while it was plugged in, I would get intermittent lock-ups with my mouse/kb for 15-30-60 seconds. Took me FOREVER to figure that part out.

Now, I just pull that HDD away if I notice the issue, and POOF, no more issue at that time.

You could try removing the USB ports from your device manager (they will be refound on boot up.....have serial bus drivers for your MB, just in case, though). I didn't bother with that. I haven't had too many issues since not leaving the USB HDD plugged in....I just plug it in when I need it, remove it when I don't, and I am fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2011, Georgia Pig Productions
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group