Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: taskhost?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:07 am 

When shutting down a computer using Win7 there is often a delay while Windows ends up being forced to close a program called taskhost. Is there any harm in using task manager to close taskhost BEFORE shutting down the computer? I'll hang up and listen.

Last edited by BAJJERFAN on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:46 pm 

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/groovytip/what-is-taskhost-exe-and-should-it-be-running/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm 

Hot fix download.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... er-2008-r2

In case the hot fix doesn't work:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... bb37680730

Do you guys honestly not understand that every intelligence agency in the nation... agrees Russia staged an all-out attack on our nation during the last election?
The CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Department of Homeland Security, and a dozen other agencies all reached the same conclusion. This isn't partisan, it's not open to interpretation. It's a fact.
If you don't understand this fact, please, just stop responding to my posts. You don't know what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:23 pm 

Thanks for the tips. In regard to the inquiry will it hurt to end the task before shutting the unit down? It's more of a nuisance than a hindrance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:19 pm 
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!

Mine just shuts down and tells me on a black screen that it is forcing shutdown of "some" program.

I think it differs, but seems to do nothing and starts fine the next time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:42 am 

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Mine just shuts down and tells me on a black screen that it is forcing shutdown of "some" program.

I think it differs, but seems to do nothing and starts fine the next time.

I see the same except a second message appears identifying the culprit as taskhost. It suggests to cancel the shutdown and close the offending program.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:27 pm 

Mine too, but it shuts down so fast with no problems that you can't even try what it suggests.

It's probably Microsoft in its infinite wisdom taking care of us.

It also only does this once in a while.
I've always assumed it was from opening dumb youtube posts during a session. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:38 pm 

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Mine too, but it shuts down so fast with no problems that you can't even try what it suggests.

It's probably Microsoft in its infinite wisdom taking care of us.

It also only does this once in a while.
I've always assumed it was from opening dumb youtube posts during a session. :twisted:

Happens every time I shut down win7. Sometimes shutdown takes little longer, so I guess I'm good with that. Was there ever a service pack 2 for Windows7?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 pm 

Has anyone here upgraded from Win7 to Win7 Ultimate? Is there any cost involved? I have the Win anytime Upgrade on my desktop. Would I need a CD? Internet explorer is pretty much a FUBAR and I can't seem to fix it. Would an upgrade fix that? I don't use IE that much, but if/when I need to, I want it to work.

If I go to a website where emails are shown as links, I can't open those. Smoe files are missing and deleting and reinstalling Windows Essentials doesn't help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:16 pm 

BAJJERFAN wrote:
Was there ever a service pack 2 for Windows7?

Don't call it that!

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... l-it-that/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 pm 

Rollo Tomassi wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Was there ever a service pack 2 for Windows7?

Don't call it that!

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... l-it-that/

I'm already up to date with all of that including the monthlies which are usually optional.

I really don't want to do a clean reinstall, but would there be any benefit to upgrade to the Ultimate version?

Oops! In checking some of the updates that make up KB 3125574 I see there are some I don't have so.................

The KB3125574 install wasn't too bad. Downloading it was a PITA, but seemed to work best with AV off and Chrome. During install and after restart it seemed to hang up on configuring windows/updates. In spite of their warning to the contrary, I turned it off. Turning it back on completed the job.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 am 

Hugh_Jorgan wrote:

Apparently the hotfix wasn't included in the BIG update mentioned later in the thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:50 pm 

BAJJERFAN wrote:
Has anyone here upgraded from Win7 to Win7 Ultimate? Is there any cost involved? I have the Win anytime Upgrade on my desktop. Would I need a CD? Internet explorer is pretty much a FUBAR and I can't seem to fix it. Would an upgrade fix that? I don't use IE that much, but if/when I need to, I want it to work.

If I go to a website where emails are shown as links, I can't open those. Smoe files are missing and deleting and reinstalling Windows Essentials doesn't help.

The logical question to be asked here is if your machine is capable why not upgrade to Win10? It seems to me to run lighter on resources than Win Xp /7 / 8 plus I'm a little smitten with the (faster than Chrome) Edge browser.

Do you guys honestly not understand that every intelligence agency in the nation... agrees Russia staged an all-out attack on our nation during the last election?
The CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Department of Homeland Security, and a dozen other agencies all reached the same conclusion. This isn't partisan, it's not open to interpretation. It's a fact.
If you don't understand this fact, please, just stop responding to my posts. You don't know what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 pm 

Hugh_Jorgan wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:

The logical question to be asked here is if your machine is capable why not upgrade to Win10? It seems to me to run lighter on resources than Win Xp /7 / 8 plus I'm a little smitten with the (faster than Chrome) Edge browser.

I already have another newer computer that has Win10 on it. No reason to pollute this unit with it. I've heard that it goes better with a clean install and I really don't want to wipe this one clean.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:02 pm 

I liked vista but ten is just fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 pm 

Well, so what? MSFT knows what you should have.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 pm 

My computer screams but for different reasons than Adams.