Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: taskhost?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:07 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
When shutting down a computer using Win7 there is often a delay while Windows ends up being forced to close a program called taskhost. Is there any harm in using task manager to close taskhost BEFORE shutting down the computer? I'll hang up and listen.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Last edited by BAJJERFAN on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:25 pm
Posts: 35018
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/groovytip/what-is-taskhost-exe-and-should-it-be-running/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 pm
Posts: 8196
Hot fix download.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... er-2008-r2

In case the hot fix doesn't work:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... bb37680730

_________________

Do you guys honestly not understand that every intelligence agency in the nation... agrees Russia staged an all-out attack on our nation during the last election?
The CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Department of Homeland Security, and a dozen other agencies all reached the same conclusion. This isn't partisan, it's not open to interpretation. It's a fact.
If you don't understand this fact, please, just stop responding to my posts. You don't know what you're talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:23 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
Thanks for the tips. In regard to the inquiry will it hurt to end the task before shutting the unit down? It's more of a nuisance than a hindrance.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:19 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 57833
Mine just shuts down and tells me on a black screen that it is forcing shutdown of "some" program.

I think it differs, but seems to do nothing and starts fine the next time.

_________________
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:42 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Mine just shuts down and tells me on a black screen that it is forcing shutdown of "some" program.

I think it differs, but seems to do nothing and starts fine the next time.


I see the same except a second message appears identifying the culprit as taskhost. It suggests to cancel the shutdown and close the offending program.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:27 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 57833
Mine too, but it shuts down so fast with no problems that you can't even try what it suggests.

It's probably Microsoft in its infinite wisdom taking care of us.





It also only does this once in a while.
I've always assumed it was from opening dumb youtube posts during a session. :twisted:

_________________
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
Rollo Tomassi wrote:
Mine too, but it shuts down so fast with no problems that you can't even try what it suggests.

It's probably Microsoft in its infinite wisdom taking care of us.





It also only does this once in a while.
I've always assumed it was from opening dumb youtube posts during a session. :twisted:



Happens every time I shut down win7. Sometimes shutdown takes little longer, so I guess I'm good with that. Was there ever a service pack 2 for Windows7?

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
Has anyone here upgraded from Win7 to Win7 Ultimate? Is there any cost involved? I have the Win anytime Upgrade on my desktop. Would I need a CD? Internet explorer is pretty much a FUBAR and I can't seem to fix it. Would an upgrade fix that? I don't use IE that much, but if/when I need to, I want it to work.

If I go to a website where emails are shown as links, I can't open those. Smoe files are missing and deleting and reinstalling Windows Essentials doesn't help.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:16 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 57833
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Was there ever a service pack 2 for Windows7?


Don't call it that!


https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... l-it-that/

_________________
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
Rollo Tomassi wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Was there ever a service pack 2 for Windows7?


Don't call it that!


https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... l-it-that/



I'm already up to date with all of that including the monthlies which are usually optional.

I really don't want to do a clean reinstall, but would there be any benefit to upgrade to the Ultimate version?

Oops! In checking some of the updates that make up KB 3125574 I see there are some I don't have so.................


The KB3125574 install wasn't too bad. Downloading it was a PITA, but seemed to work best with AV off and Chrome. During install and after restart it seemed to hang up on configuring windows/updates. In spite of their warning to the contrary, I turned it off. Turning it back on completed the job.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
Hugh_Jorgan wrote:



Apparently the hotfix wasn't included in the BIG update mentioned later in the thread.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 pm
Posts: 8196
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Has anyone here upgraded from Win7 to Win7 Ultimate? Is there any cost involved? I have the Win anytime Upgrade on my desktop. Would I need a CD? Internet explorer is pretty much a FUBAR and I can't seem to fix it. Would an upgrade fix that? I don't use IE that much, but if/when I need to, I want it to work.

If I go to a website where emails are shown as links, I can't open those. Smoe files are missing and deleting and reinstalling Windows Essentials doesn't help.



The logical question to be asked here is if your machine is capable why not upgrade to Win10? It seems to me to run lighter on resources than Win Xp /7 / 8 plus I'm a little smitten with the (faster than Chrome) Edge browser.

_________________

Do you guys honestly not understand that every intelligence agency in the nation... agrees Russia staged an all-out attack on our nation during the last election?
The CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Department of Homeland Security, and a dozen other agencies all reached the same conclusion. This isn't partisan, it's not open to interpretation. It's a fact.
If you don't understand this fact, please, just stop responding to my posts. You don't know what you're talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm
Posts: 958
Hugh_Jorgan wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:
Has anyone here upgraded from Win7 to Win7 Ultimate? Is there any cost involved? I have the Win anytime Upgrade on my desktop. Would I need a CD? Internet explorer is pretty much a FUBAR and I can't seem to fix it. Would an upgrade fix that? I don't use IE that much, but if/when I need to, I want it to work.

If I go to a website where emails are shown as links, I can't open those. Smoe files are missing and deleting and reinstalling Windows Essentials doesn't help.



The logical question to be asked here is if your machine is capable why not upgrade to Win10? It seems to me to run lighter on resources than Win Xp /7 / 8 plus I'm a little smitten with the (faster than Chrome) Edge browser.


I already have another newer computer that has Win10 on it. No reason to pollute this unit with it. I've heard that it goes better with a clean install and I really don't want to wipe this one clean.

_________________
Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo chit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 86403
I liked vista but ten is just fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 pm 
Offline
Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae~4-Ever!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Posts: 57833
Well, so what? MSFT knows what you should have.

_________________
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: taskhost?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 86403
My computer screams but for different reasons than Adams.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2011, Georgia Pig Productions
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group