Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 am 
I'm so confused

I need to get a decent camera for taking coin pictures. Any recommendations?

MacGyver: "He was a symbol of the OFR helping out...hopefully he, and his family, was guilted into paying back what was owed. That seems to also be the OFR way
I sure wish I had the $$$ back I sent to Puff..."

coinmickey: "We're going to join the really smart countries, our buddies Syria and Nicaragua!! Great company!! It'll be bigly fantastic!!!"
coinmickey: "Nicaragua, Venezuela...whatever. You know what I was talking about."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 am 
I'm so confused

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

cool guys.

MacGyver: "He was a symbol of the OFR helping out...hopefully he, and his family, was guilted into paying back what was owed. That seems to also be the OFR way

coinmickey: "We're going to join the really smart countries, our buddies Syria and Nicaragua!! Great company!! It'll be bigly fantastic!!!"
coinmickey: "Nicaragua, Venezuela...whatever. You know what I was talking about."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 pm 
I'm so confused

You fuddernutter ass holes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/Numismatic-Photography-Mark-Goodman/dp/1933990090

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:46 pm 
I'm so confused

Oh sweet. Thanks man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:51 pm 
Purveyor of the political smackdown

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Fisher- ... Ciid%253A2

When the last Muslim apologist is beheaded...it will be reported by the last remaining leftist journalist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:09 pm 

pretty much most people hold off on that kind of advice with the thought that K6 will be along at any moment to provide a much better answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:12 pm 
I'm so confused

Barndog wrote:
pretty much most people hold off on that kind of advice with the thought that K6 will be along at any moment to provide a much better answer.

Yeah, I didn't know he was back in the hospital.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:33 pm 

Nikon and Canon are the 2 obvious camps people are in.
Biggest expense isn't the camera but the lenses.....would see what you want to do with it and what people are commenting on in order to choose.

I got the Nikon D90 and then later got the Canon Ti4 to give as a birthday gift to my brother (got a good deal on a new one) but he already had one I didn't know about, so I have one of each now. I like them both, but the Canon can tether with free software and easier, but I have more Nikon lenses.....

It's a crapshoot between them, for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:06 pm 
I'm so confused

RMan wrote:
Nikon and Canon are the 2 obvious camps people are in.
Biggest expense isn't the camera but the lenses.....would see what you want to do with it and what people are commenting on in order to choose.

I got the Nikon D90 and then later got the Canon Ti4 to give as a birthday gift to my brother (got a good deal on a new one) but he already had one I didn't know about, so I have one of each now. I like them both, but the Canon can tether with free software and easier, but I have more Nikon lenses.....

It's a crapshoot between them, for the most part.

I just saw the thread on CU about the Canon with LiveView. I am leaning that way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 am 

Used Canon from Ebay, around $200
Used macro lens another 3-400.
Copy stand. Cheap led lights.
Done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 am 
I don't have a title.

Flatwoods wrote:
Used Canon from Ebay, around $200
Used macro lens another 3-400.
Copy stand. Cheap led lights.
Done.

Sorry, just saw this thread. What Flatwoods said above would've have been my reply as well.

The macro lens is the most important. I have a Nikon set-up w/ a 60mm macro lens (+ copy stand). That lens is excellent for anything really, but the coin pics come out very well.

:cool:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am 

I have several Nikon DSLR's. They make great cameras but macro is sort of an afterthought with them.
Canon does a much better job of addressing macro. They tether more easily with Canon's free software as well.
I bought a used Canon that I use solely for coin pics.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 pm 

If you want cheap a Nikon 995 is the Elmo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:44 am 
I'm so confused

Good advice, thanks all!

Anyone know how Eric is doing? I kind of like him when I want something from him.