Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 pm 

I tried restarting Win 10 and it just hung up for what seemed like forever. From Googling the issue it appears that if you unplug your mouse [or maybe other USB devices] that restart will proceed normally. Seems like a temp fix tho. Anyone know of a permanent fix?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:21 pm 
EZEKIEL 23:20

Does it get stuck on "Please Wait"? There's a KB install that apparently causes this. Let me know if that's where you're stuck and I'll see if I can find the fix.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:03 am 

flaminio wrote:
Does it get stuck on "Please Wait"? There's a KB install that apparently causes this. Let me know if that's where you're stuck and I'll see if I can find the fix.

No. It gets stuck on the words starting up. I haven't had the unit very long. When I did my first update it went through everything ok and then just hung up on starting up the same way. After a half hour I just held down the power button for 5 seconds to shut it off.

Also the windows not responding was due to some security software called Rapport by Trusteer now owned by IBM. During the uninstall it gives you the chance [I guess they don't want you to leave] to download and install an updated version which eliminated the "windows not responding" error for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 pm 

And, you have tried booting up in safe mode?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 pm 

RMan wrote:
And, you have tried booting up in safe mode?

As a one time fix?

I was having trouble with Avast firewall not turning on so Avast support suggested a fix involving starting the computer in safe mode. Since the unit was already on, I hit restart so it was at that point it started to hang up. After a time I just depressed the power button until it shut off. I didn't pursue the Avast fix after that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:25 pm 

When drivers misbehave, it can be useful to boot into safe mode to make sure that the generic drivers work (ie...your hardware is actually working and you don't have corrupt files).
If safe mode hangs, you have bigger issues. If safe mode works, you have a starting point.

I haven't played with Win10 that much in troubleshooting, as I don't have a touch desktop (all in one downstairs in the kitchen, for the wife/family use has it, but no issues so far). Win7 is what I use and when an issue occurs with a driver, and hanging on boot, then safe mode is the go to for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:36 am 

RMan wrote:
When drivers misbehave, it can be useful to boot into safe mode to make sure that the generic drivers work (ie...your hardware is actually working and you don't have corrupt files).
If safe mode hangs, you have bigger issues. If safe mode works, you have a starting point.

I haven't played with Win10 that much in troubleshooting, as I don't have a touch desktop (all in one downstairs in the kitchen, for the wife/family use has it, but no issues so far). Win7 is what I use and when an issue occurs with a driver, and hanging on boot, then safe mode is the go to for me.

Thanks. I will try safe mode next time I fire up the beast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:43 pm 

No issues with either safe mode or normal startup/restart.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:29 am 

BAJJERFAN wrote:

So, no more problem?

You said it was hanging when you booted, so that would equate to "normal startup".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:46 am 

RMan wrote:
BAJJERFAN wrote:

So, no more problem?

You said it was hanging when you booted, so that would equate to "normal startup".

I can't be 100% sure. I was doing something with Avast where they recommended to start in safe mode. I haven't yet tried to "restart" the unit after using it for awhile. There were no issues the last time I used it, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't come back.