Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chili
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 pm 
CCW likes me more than Rollo

3 packages (9 ounces) dried new mexico chili pods. Remove the stems, break em in half and boil them in water for over half of an hour. Whiz up the solids in a food processor and food mill the seeds and paper from the chili. If you don't have a food mill, go directly to hell or wendys.
do not purchase chili powder. most of these chili powders have additives, preservatives, colorings...things added that are not chili powder.
do not fuddernutter with california chilis, they all suck.
rough chop and cook two big onions a few tomatos (or a can of tomatos), head of garlic.
Get a bone-in pork shoulder. Trim some of the fat. Cut it into a few big steak like pieces. Sear the pieces in a hot pan to get color. oh yeah...salt the meat. you know, just a little salt. unsalted meat is gross.
Now, throw all of the above meat, chili, onions, tomatos, garlic into a big pot. You may need to add water to cover the meat.
Add a whole bunch of cumin. If you buy bottles of ground cumin, one bottle will do. If you are smart, you will buy the seeds cheap and grind them yourself.
A tablespoon or so of cocoa powder. A teaspoon or so of cinnamon.
Six bay leaves. Count them. Because you will fish them out later, you will want an accurate count.

Cook the fuddernutter out of it on low, covered. Add water if you need to. Cook it all day. Maybe even two days. Meat falls apart. If the meat has not fallen apart yet, you have not cooked it nearly enough. If it looks watery, remove the lid and let it cook down a bit. You'll know when it's done because it looks done.

you might be able to add broth or boullion if you need more salt. But at this point it may be a flavor spectacular and you probably won't want anything else in it.

You can add beans if you want but I don't. I just want meat with chili dammit.

oh yeah and fresh cornbreads.

Post subject: Re: Chili
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:17 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:32 am 

It's almost chili season, this sounds really good. Will try it. Must put the beans in though.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:10 am 
CCW likes me more than Rollo

i used to get 'mexican chocolate' but that stuff is just cocoa, cinnamon and sugar. Sometimes I put some sugar into my chili but often I don't. So I stopped using the mexican chocolate tabs.

The pork shoulder I used bears no resemblance to pork anymore. It's chili flavored now.

One small bowl of this stuff keeps me feeling full for a whole day.