Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 am 

Hello all. Well here we are, beginning of June (again). I forget sometimes how spread out we all are, some of you guys are harvesting already.
This is a giveaway for one Morgan Silver Dollar, raw and ungraded and here's how it works:

Sept 1st, whoever has the largest tomato wins !!!! (If we need to go later for Canadians let me know) But here's the catch.
You have to grow one larger than me to win. I don't have anything out there specifically meant to be BIG. My biggest type is going to be German Pink.

No leadshot sunk into the backside of the tomato. Honor system. Pic of mater on scale. You beat me and the rest of the gardeners on the forum, you win a Morgan.

Add tomatoes as you go, simply edit the post with your newest entry or make a new post. For instance, if you go out to the garden on the 10th of July and pull out a 1lb er, post it. Then if a week later you pull a bigger one out, edit the old one out. What counts is your biggest by SEP 1st. Good luck.

Leaderboard
KSteelheader - 2lb. 13.5oz.
ME - 1 lbs. 12 oz.

6/3/09

Last edited by cullenbryant on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:15 am 

All organic right? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:01 am 

I can get away with organic pretty easy on tomatoes. Two year aged horse and chicken compost makes a good soil. Just sinking the shovel into the pile there's tons of worms. As far as pest control, it can be done fairly easily too. The only real pest that gets them here are the tomato hornworm. BT or dipel dust kills those off in short order, their life cycle of eating leaves is not too long, maybe one dusting per season is all it takes. Very narrow spectrum, it's a bacteria that only targets the moth family so the bees all the beneficial flying insects and birds are unscathed by it. Reminds me to order some soon. They have it at farm and garden but it's at least twice as high.

It's taken a long time to setup a system where I'm able to grow a bunch organically though, i.e. the compost heap, finding out about bt.. There were times I just ate the loss because I hate using Sevin.
so i don't expect everyone else to be setup that way. if one wants to go full nuclear have at it, but be careful with the fertilizer. Many a good plant has been burnt :razz:

6/3/09

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:04 am 

TxR already posted one two weeks ago in GD, so there's already a leader but not a weight. We'll give it .01 value until he checks in !

6/3/09

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:46 pm 
Mr. Nice Guy

I've got giant plants and very few smallish tomato's... fuddernutter me

Most of the garden has now been overrun by nutgrass... when the heat really kicks in I'm nuking the whole thing and starting all over next year with small raised beds instead of one big garden.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:01 pm 

I'd let you trim my nutgrass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:40 am 

Just a perfect year hear. Rain every day almost, then burned off with the sun and a nice cooldown in the evening. So far so good.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 pm 
CCW likes me more than Rollo

rain every day.

ya right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:03 pm 

Gettin a little dry out that way? :lol:

6/3/09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:05 pm 

Pictures forthcoming within a week. This one is going to test Steelheaders last years winner. We'll see. Same kind of situation, a couple fused together from what looks like 3 German Pinks.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:45 pm 

We got some very large ones at the farmers market , nice soup stock!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:27 pm 

These are just starting to ripen, literally only had a few so far. This German Pink came in this evening as a SINGLE tomato, not fused with another weighing in at 1.75 lbs. It'll take a day or two on the counter to completely turn, but I wasn't taking any chances.
I put a pic of another one sliced up to show how few seeds there are. (The darker slice on the outside is a Paul Roberson). These Big Pink plants are just Elmo 1-3 lb. tomatoes.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:53 am 
Mr. Nice Guy

faint: appl:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:08 pm 

Thanks man. Looks like it's gonna take a pretty big one this season. I'm just getting started. The weather worked out.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:30 am 
Mr. Nice Guy

I've nuked my garden with generic round up the last 2 weekends. The biggest tomato I ended up getting was probably 12 ounces or maybe a little bigger. I didn't weigh it. The garden was a bust this year... that said though my peach trees went crazy. Literally hundreds of peaches off each. Never thought I'd say it but I'm sick of peaches...hahaha.

I'll rebuild garden and try to give it a run next year. Several of my neighbors had good hauls of tomato's so they're keeping me supplied with them and they're getting peaches in return so it's all good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:22 pm 

It's rare year to get any peaches at all here, and this wasn't one of those years. The apples are everywhere though, and almost ripe. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. They're small, much too small to call yourself sitting and eating one. I'm thinking about making a bunch of apple cider vinegar with them, but I'll have to figure that whole process out... and then see if there's time.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:57 am 
awac

After a very late start for my garden, the tomatoes are all blooming and setting fruit. BE PREPARED!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 am 

:cool:

That is a late start, but plenty of time. It was late here too. The weather has made em big here, but I'll have to admit the taste is not what it is in a scorcher year. That may change now that we're getting warmer, but it's still mild compared.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm 
awac

Tomatoes not ripe yet. Some pics!

How is this for a Roma?? That is a quarter on the tomato. :lol: :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:26 pm 

Hold the phone, we may have a contender !

6/3/09