Open Forum Refuge

Known to cause cancer in California
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:41 pm 
Just call me chuckles

Uh huh... you shoulda seen the one that got away :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 am 

One my feet for 16 hours processing tomatoes for sauce yesterday. This was the largest out of a bunch of tomatoes. Black Krim, 1 and 1/16 lb we can call it. As dry as it's been, I'd be surprised to get anything bigger than this out of any of mine.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:07 pm 

cullenbryant wrote:
One my feet for 16 hours processing tomatoes for sauce yesterday. This was the largest out of a bunch of tomatoes. Black Krim, 1 and 1/16 lb we can call it. As dry as it's been, I'd be surprised to get anything bigger than this out of any of mine.

All that is missing is the Red chili pepper.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:44 pm 
CCW likes me more than Rollo

not deleting that one

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:31 am 
Mr. Nice Guy

Please count me in the "loser" category this year... some of the ones I thought were headed to stardom petered out (probably 'cause of the heat) and I won't have any that hit a pound. I picked 6 yesterday that were all about like this one... on the good side, they taste great and look pretty nice. I'd guess pimp is going to win with that purple nutsack looking thing :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am 
Southern By The Grace Of God

You folks are in for it next year, I didn't have an appropriate scale this year.

BFFL.....BigMark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:16 am 
Mr. Nice Guy

ErnestT wrote:
You folks are in for it next year, I didn't have an appropriate scale this year.

I'll be ready... :!:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:56 pm 

I'm expecting steelheader will ride in out of the sunset yet

6/3/09

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:02 pm 
Mr. Nice Guy

cullenbryant wrote:
I'm expecting steelheader will ride in out of the sunset yet

The biggest one I ever grew actually came from a plant that I grew from a seed I got from him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:53 pm 

Biggest here was a Half pound.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:52 am 

Better luck next season folks. I really didn't intend to win my own giveaway. ahahah

I'm still getting lots of tomatoes but size on these things really got hurt this year. I had to quit watering as the drought tightened because we had water table concerns all summer. Nobody I know actually went dry and I will keep this season in mind as to the wider limitations we must have underground here. The beefsteak types took the hardest hit, some varieties hardly produced anything saleable.
The moral to the overall story, if you're going to hell, take some rutger seeds along.

6/3/09

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:15 pm 
Mr. Nice Guy

Congrats on winning your own give-away :lol: But you won fair and square. I just picked up some more seeds for stock and to try next year...

Opalka
Landis Valley Strain of Brandywine Red
Fireworks
Aker's West Virginia
Aussie
German Giant

The last two will likely be the ones that might give me something to give you a run for your money next year. I've also got a few plants started and will try to get in some fall tomatoes before it gets too cold.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 pm 

If we can keep getting hurricanes up here my stagger maters will make before the chill, got some bradleys, mr. stripeys, lemon boys, big rainbows and rutgers. They're waist high and now full of blooms thanks to Isaac.

Opalka is the only one you've got there I'm familiar with. It was a tough year for it and amish paste here. Everything looked good at first, but when the string of 100+ days set in, they just couldn't be expected to do much. Still, the rutgers and box car willie saved the whole thing and i was able to make enough sauce for the year and supply several others, very few people had tomatoes in bulk, but rutgers allowed that here. In terms of surviving heat it went like this.
1rutger
2boxcarwillie
3black krim potato leaf (It actually held up there with the above, but it was an accidental cross and so I only had 2 plants to judge from and not enough overall fruits to worry about)
4black krim regular leaf
5amish paste
6opalka
7beefsteak (very small and rough looking fruit, in short a waste of time and effort, but who knew)

For next year, looking for a seed type called Neves Azorean

I'll send down Black Krim potato leaf sometime over the winter to add to your stash. This doesn't officially exist, but I had a couple come up that way, if they breed out true that calls for naming rights in my book. :cool:

6/3/09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:03 am 
Mr. Nice Guy

Thanks and sounds good. I tried a new place for seed... hopefully it'll work out.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:01 pm 

We have some serious growers here. I usually grow Tomatoes. The first year I did a flat, about 20 plants (they sell them in flats of 16, partly grown, and some have more then one always). By the fourth year I had my whole yard covered with them. All my cages were filled, and I even had the fence line, Christmas lawn decorations, and all types of stuff in the yard to support them. Then a damn hail storm came...... censor:

I haven't grown any in two years now, but maybe I will this year so I can come in a distance 7th place here...lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:27 pm 
Mr. Nice Guy

I plan on kicking some ass this year. Starting last year I went away from cages and started running them up string. I'll do that again this year. It worked great.

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gw3zFBJB8I